Monday, September 30, 2013

The taboo topic: miscarriage

Hi Everyone:

I'm taking a little vaca from my normally very sarcastic & silly blogging to write a little post about something I've experienced lately.  I feel like we all know someone that has had a miscarriage and I think even more people than we think have quietly suffered the loss and not talked about it.

Pretty much, it just plain sucks.

Chris & I were very excited to find out we were pregnant with baby #2 last month and of course a big mouth like me never waits the requisite 12 weeks to tell everyone.  I literally was texting 10 minutes after peeing on the stick!  With the caveat that "oh I would tell everyone if something happened anyway, so it's cool."  Well, something did happen and now bigmouth has to back track and tell everyone that thinks I'm pregnant, that I am not anymore.  Mostly just because I'd love to avoid the awkward talk at the playground, when I'm asked how I'm feeling and I have to explain "ohhhh sorry, its totally not a big deal and you didn't know, but....."

I guess my point in writing this is to support other moms & dads that are going through this and let them know that they are not alone!  I know it is super common and that it doesn't mean we'll never have a healthy, full-term pregnancy again.....but in this moment it definitely sucks and it is OK to feel those feelings.  In my case, it definitely makes it ALOT easier to look at my sweet Ollie's smile and snuggle with him.

Ohhh and you know what is the worst part -- I went to Bermuda for a long weekend last week (kid-free!) and watched my husband sling back amazing looking rum swizzles while I sipped my gingerale & splash of cran with a lime mocktail.  What a waste!  Haha, I know that is not the worst, but we all need a good laugh at a time like this.

Anyway, I'm fine, feeling good and happy to have this behind us!  Hopefully you'll be seeing me sport some big fat shirred side maternity clothes this winter and complaining about swollen ankles!  Back on the horse!  :)

Thanks guys! Feel free to share with anyone that may benefit from knowing they are not alone!
Love to all.  -rory

1 comment: