Saturday, July 27, 2013

10 New Mom Essentials

Hi Readers -
I thought I'd write a little post for any new or expecting moms that may read my silly little blog.  We buy sooo much stuff before we have the baby and then a ton of it goes back to Babies R Us or gets thrown in a closet.  Here are a few things that I thought were super helpful.  (I don't represent any company, this is strictly my personal opinion from my experience with my Ollie).  xoxo, -rory

1. Moms Group. First off, a new moms group is imperative!  I definitely felt like I didn't need/want this when I was pregnant, cause I thought I knew it all (HA!).  However, because I'm a total follower, I did in fact join the Isis mom's group called "Great Beginnings" and what a great decision that was.  You start when your baby is about 6 weeks old.  It is a bunch of tired moms that are all like "OMG, What am I doing?!?", and you all bond and learn all you need to know about the first few weeks.  The babies lay on boppys and scream their heads off and no one minds!  This is also where you will begin to feel OK with breastfeeding outside your living room!  The first few classes, you may wear your cover up, but soon thereafter no one cares.  I always say- If anyone wants to catch a glimpse of what's going on here with my post-baby bod, go ahead.  However, you may need some therapy after looking!  Just saying.  Anyway, the support is amazing and you will remain friends with these woman!  I'm 17 months out and I am definitely still close to most of the moms in my class.

2. Nursing Cover.  Speaking of Nursing -  sooner or later, you will have to feed the baby in public.  It is a wicked scary thought initially.  Then you will be out and your little goosie will need to eat and you just have to do it.  My first time was in the MGH lobby at my 6 week check up.  Ollie lost it and I just had to do it on a bench, amidst tons of people -- It was definitely a good initiation.  The apron like things that go around your neck and cover your baby while he feeds are amazing!  There a bunch - I loved the Bebe Au Lait ones that came in super cute patterns.  http://www.bebeaulait.com/

3.  Nursing Tanks.  I was and still am obsessed with these tanks, even though I am no longer breastfeeding!  I used the Glamour Mom Tanks and they were great!  I LOVED the fact that they kind of sucked your belly in, while providing a cute tank to wear and there were soooo long!  Love the coverage.  They also have styles for bigger chests with a little more support.  http://www.glamourmom.com/

4. Nursing pillow.  It is super important to be comfortable while nursing as you will be doing it ALOT and when you relax, your milk supply can flow easily!  There are tons of pillows out there - I mostly just used the all purpose Boppy pillow, that is like a C-shaped pillow that wraps around your waist.  Sometimes I would prop up one side with a regular pillow, but you will find what works best for you.  A ton of my friends loved the My Brest Friend pillow and I used that for a little while, but preferred the boppy.  Sometimes in the middle of the night, I just used this silly little rectangle shaped decorative pillow with my wedding date embroidered on it that I received as a wedding gift.  It was the perfect shape to just slip under his body.  Odd, I know.  This is the area in which everyone is different - you have to find out what is comfortable for you.  Also, they do make these travel boppys that you fold up and leave in your stroller for feeding in public!  The boppy is also great for propping up the baby when they get a little bigger and I loved doing tummy time on the boppy.
http://www.boppy.com/shop/category/pillows-and-loungers/
http://www.mybrestfriend.com/


5. Swaddles.  I know that there is a movement now that is anti-swaddle, but I am certainly pro-swaddle!  I wish I could still wrap ollie up in his little muslin blankets!  Initially when he was super small, we used the pink and blue hospital blankets to wrap him. As he grew a little bigger, I did either the Aden & Anais muslin blankets that everyone uses and I also love the Miracle Blanket and the Summer Infant velcro swaddles.  It was a great "sleep cue" and even if they initially fight it, most babies like it! 
http://www.summerinfant.com/nursery/swaddling-wearable-blankets/swaddleme/small-medium
http://www.miracleblanket.com/
http://www.adenandanais.com/shop/swaddles.aspx

6.  A vibrating "bouncy seat".  These little transportable seats are great for a while!  I loved that the baby could nap in there and you could move it from room to room.  Also, it comes in soooo handy when you actually need to shower.  Ollie spent many a mornings in the bouncy seat on the bathroom floor while I showered.  As they get a little bigger they begin to see the little animal toys hanging down and bat at them....and this is when you start to become convinced they are baby geniuses.  This is the one that I had and loved it, but there are a million on the market.
http://www.diapers.com/p/fisher-price-rainforest-bouncer-9322

7. An activity gym/playmat.  This omnipresent mat with the crisscrossing arches is great.  In the beginning, it is just a way to let them lay and have a little visual stimulation and then as they get older, you can hang toys or interlocking rings down for them to grab.  Definitely something you'll use for many months.  Again, there are a million out there, but this is the one I had.
http://www.diapers.com/p/fisher-price-rainforest-melodies-lights-deluxe-gym-9323

8. Baby Carrier(s).  Not everyone is a babywearer, and I never thought I would be..but now I am a total convert!!!  I still wear 25lb Ollie in my Ergo.  I already wrote a full on blog post all about carriers, see here -->  http://roryearleydoula.blogspot.com/2013/06/baby-carriers-my-personal-journey-of.html. I strongly encourage all new moms to babywear, not just for bonding....but for a couple minutes of free hands to empty the dishwasher!  Its great for skin to skin time too, which is so very important!

9.  Diapers.com or Amazon Prime.  I have a huge love affair with diapers.com!  They have EVERYTHING under the sun, including almost every product I've mentioned here.  The greatest thing is that it is free overnight delivery.  I am such a sucker for overnight delivery!  LOVE!  They have iPhone apps and easy re-ordering, as they save your frequently ordered items. I believe you can set up automatic delivery too.  Size 4 Pampers Sensitive diapers tomorrow by 6?  Yes please!

10.  Help!  Most every mom will answer "yeah yeah yeah, I know" to this suggestion, as we all want to be supermom that does it all.  However, it is really important that you get out, alone.  Even if it is just to CVS or Whole Foods (my usual destinations!).  The first few times you walk down the street without a stroller and diaper bag, you will feel naked.... but then you return home, all refreshed, and you are a better mom because of it!  Not all of us can afford a nanny or babysitter, but even if your partner or a friend can lend you a little help, it will be well well worth it!  If you do have a partner, down the road you may want a date night too...in order to rekindle that old spark and get geared up for baby #2.  HA, just kidding!

1 comment:

  1. This is a great list! I live in a more rural area so when I go out in the car someone alone for a longer trip than normal I find myself looking in the rear view and not at the traffic behind me! I am looking for my little Jack. LOL I have this sudden "OMG" moment. Then quickly bring myself back into reality. I am alone! haha

    ReplyDelete