Thursday, June 20, 2013

Come Waste Your Time With Me: The Playlist


Sooo, if you know me or you're an avid reader of my posts, I'm guessing you have noticed that I get a tad bit obsessed with things.  One thing I definitely obsessed about while pregnant was creating the most amazing environment for my labor & delivery.  Most specifically, the labor music playlist!  This became a latenight endeavor of finding songs from all over that inspire me, make me smile or would kick my ass to work harder to get that baby out! 

I crafted this great mix and listened to it incessantly during the last few weeks of my pregnancy.  I even made a backup list of fast paced running songs in case I needed a lil Beyonce to work it out.  Who knows: maybe Enya ain't what you want to hear when you are feeling the most incredible pain you have ever experienced in your entire life!?  Long story short, the only thing I thought about during my unmedicated 11 hours of back labor was ways to painfully punish my husband for not putting enough force into the lower back counterpressure exercise during my contractions!  You'd think I was a delicate piece of breakable glass with the teeny amount of pressure he was applying.  PRESS HARDER! OMG WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!?  

Needless to say, the playlist and the cute docking station I purchased to play the music stayed in my overnight bag the entire hospital stay.  Shocker!   It was such a perfect example of what happens when you plan anything surrounding your labor & delivery - it is probably not going to happen the way you anticipated!

Tonight after putting my Ollie to bed, I was very tired and wanted to collapse.  However, I had to drag the old bod out into the night to the very fancy destination of CVS!  Turns out my extravagant $30 purchase of Mustela baby soap and Desitin was left in the bag at the self bagging register several nights ago.... and I just realized it tonight, when we had no soap! So a big shout out to our friends at Consumer Value Store who hooked a sista up by believeing me and offering to replace the items when I called them with my story.   So I threw on my headphones (which is a whole other story- I hate ear buds, as I must have deformed inner ears or something.  So I use the thin headband headphones that you probably rocked with your discman in junior high! I love them and they double as a headband - win win!  But my husband constantly makes fun of me for looking so ridiculously old school).  Anyway, I never really go for leisurely walks by myself and when I go fast walking/running or to the gym I listen to upbeat songs to make me gooooooo fasterrrrr.  Tonight I cranked the birth playlist and was transformed back! 

I am defintitely not a music person, but tonight I had quite the magical walk --Music really is transformative!  I listened to my "oliver songs" and remembered all the feelings of anticipation and excitement I felt as I waited to meet my sweet boy growing inside me.  The walk had such an overwhelming calming effect on me and I didnt want it to end!!  As all moms, I'm usually rushing to each thing - quick quick quick, finish your waffle, where are your shoes, chug latte, we're late for music, quick throw that load in the dryer, quick quick please please PLEASE take a nap....repeat repeat repeat!

The playlist has songs from so many areas of my life - freshman year of college, my wedding song and some just from fun nights with friends.  It was so nice to remember and reflect back on the old days!   So, I guess the point (is there one?) of my revelation tonight is that: first of all, moms need to take more walks by themselves sans sippy cups, snacks and diapers.  Secondly, we should listen to more music that doesnt involve the chorus: the wheels on the bus go round and round.......and slow it down and enjoy the ride!  xoxo, rory

Here it is:  The Oliver Patrick Birth Playlist from February 2012:

Better Days - Eddie Vedder
Breathe Me - Sia
Brighter Than Sunshine - Aqualung
Both Sides Now - Joni Mitchell
Jolene - Ray LaMontagne
Fade Into You - Mazzy Star
Heart of Gold - Neil Young
I Go To Sleep - Sia
Heavy Things - Phish
One Particular Harbor - Jimmy Buffett
Lullaby for Wyatt - Sheryl Crow
Silent in the Morning- Phish
Shakedown Street - Grateful Dead
Love on Top - Beyonce
Violet - Hole
I'll Back You up - DMB
Christmas Song - DMB
Moonshadow - Cat Stevens
Secret O Life - James Taylor
You've Got A Friend  James Taylor
Your Song - Elton John
This Is How We Do It - Montell Jordan
Yellow - Coldplay
Fix You - Coldplay
You Are My Sunshine - Carly Simon
Looks Like Rain - Grateful Dead
Halleluja - Rufus Wainwright
Dreaming My Dreams - The Cranberries
River - Sarah McLachlan
Mary - Sarah McLaclan
Ghost - Indigo Girls
Power of Two - Indigo Girls
Someone Like You - Adele
Waste - Phish --------> (Come Waste Your Time With Me!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment