Thursday, June 27, 2013

The Transformation into a "Dada"

This post is dedicated to my CFE.  143.

Today on the walk to soccer, the whole fam was all excited for the first of what will probably be many sporting events for our crazy man Ollie!  I wasn't sure what to expect of a 16 month old and organized sports, but I was just happy to have him run so that he'd be tired for nap time!

On the walk there, Ollie pointed out every single truck, bus, trolley and duck boat as he always does.  The excitement this kid exudes at the sight of a trash truck is amazing!  I love it.  The funniest thing is that we have exposed him to all toys (not just boy stuff), but he is ridiculously obsessed with anything that has wheels, has dirt or anything that he can climb. Such a boy!

Anyway, one particular truck driver got a kick out of Ollie's excitement and gave him a little "toot toot" with the horn.  This just set Olls over the edge of excitement.....but it also had the same effect on Chris (the dada).  Much to my surprise, amidst all the rush hour commuters in Beacon Hill, Chris toot tooted loudly back as he saw his son's truck euphoria!  Obviously I get this -- I've been know to full on scream 'Baby Beluga' at the top of my lungs on the walk home to appease a cranky toddler.  Your sense of pride or caring what anyone thinks of you goes out the window, when that little 24-pounder needs something. I mean, you've seen (or read) how I dress -- nothing matters but him! 

So, I started to think about March 23, 2008, when I met this future dada who probably could have never imagined then that he would be playing with thomas the trains, washing bottles and buying diapers in a few short years.   He was such a cool dude, very bigtime lawyer man.  Too cool for me or anyone else --  He had never held a baby, let alone changed a diaper.  He strutted his stuff in his designer jeans and phat sneaks, thinking he was such a catch!  Such a tough guy!  As we moved in together and got married, that big heart opened up slowly but surely and the transformation started.

Fast forward to February 2012 - It was all over!  He had a son that had red hair, just like him!!!  From that moment on, I saw this tough guy change into Ollie's dada.  He carefully studied and learned everything he needed to know about raising this baby.  He knew about breastfeeding and pumping and tummy time and swaddles... He came home early when the colic had consumed the day.  He started Saturday morning walks, so that I could sleep in (or secretly watch DVR'd episodes of Real Housewives) and always brought back a giant Starbucks cup for me!  There was a switch around 10 months when Olls decided that Dada was the cool one and mom was just there when he needed something.  Now the weekly boys' night is Ollie's favorite time -- playground, pizza and ESPN?  You can't do much better than that, can you!?  Chris has totally morphed into a full on dad, who discusses sippy cups, bedtimes and developmental milestones with other parents at the park.  Once in a while I will meet up with my boys unexpectedly in the neighborhood and I get to see this relationship from afar.  Ollie loves his dada so so much and it is so touching to see how Chris loves that little boy right back a million times over. 

We love you, dada.  All you do for us each and every day is much appreciated.  We do, however, know that you secretly think you are the hottest dad at the playground!!!  BUSTED!
The aforementioned dada is the in-house legal counsel for the Earley clan and can be found here:  ChrisEarley.com

No comments:

Post a Comment