Thursday, June 13, 2013

My toddler has a stylist

My silly middle of the night post- when I should be sleeping to be well rested for the bear of a day tomorrow that is toddler teething!  However, both the men in my life are asleep and I have the couch, remote, snacks... and the best part: I'm ALONE!   I seriously have an addiction to staying up late, like really late.  It is because I have a tiny sliver of my former life- when I can lazily scroll through websites and fill the 'shopping cart' with things I have no intention of buying, read US Weekly online or just sit like a bump on a log and tune out to VH1s Couples therapy.  Seriously I just watched that and I'm embarrassed to admit it.  Anyway, I just turned out the lights, checked on the baby and headed to bed.... Then detoured to the ipad to write a quick post.  It is like late nights are my addiction.... And the hangover at 7am is gonna kill.

I thought I'd share with you another career aspiration I have, after I go to culinary school, become a homeopathic doctor and open a gourmet sandwich shop in Beacon Hill (very much needed!).  I think I'd like to be a stylist to the stars... who are under 18 months.  I have become a tad obsessed with dressing my Ollie in a style in which I think I created when he was in utero!  He would be sporty with a touch of classic prep!  I would definitely sell my soul for a cute RL Polo size 12-18 months.  Those suckers are not cheap!    

I get compliments alot on Ollie's "cool dude" style and although I do think Oliver has the utmost confidence to wear any off the rack look,  I do take credit for the tireless amount of work that goes into pulling his look each day.  Not to mention the wardrobe changes if there are any hiccups in his day such as mud puddles, grass stains or an unmentionable diaper incident. I can scan a clothing rack at Gap or H&M in a heartbeat and know what will work and what will not, with the ease of Anna Wintour with the fall collection.  What can I say, it's a gift to know which hoodie will work with which distressed jean pant, never cargo.  Oliver's signature look is usually jeans or chinos, a tee or polo and his signature Red Sox hat (often worn backwards for an even cooler look).  Very rugged, classic and all boy- my masterpiece!

The funniest part of this whole ridiculous subject is that his trusty sidekick who is always with him: pushing the swing, spotting him as he climbs and chasing him with bites of his lunch through the playground so he will get some sort of nourishment into that hunger striking body, is his mother who looks like a train wreck!  I legit feel like any day now he is going to turn around, clad in some handsome nautical striped attire and say "mom, get yourself together girl, puhhlease!"  As much as I'd love to be the mom at the playground wearing cropped skinny jeans, 6 weeks postpartum, I really don't have the time to style two people.  So I will forsake myself and focus on the fashionista of the house. I will continue to wear "the uniform" as my husband so kindly calls it - black lululemons with a tee annnnnd perhaps a cardigan, you know to really pull the look together!  And by 10/10:30am said cardigan will be stained in several spots from snacks and sippy cups and playground dirt!  

All in all, I think I live vicariously through dressing him, since nothing in my closet fits! Omg how I wish I needed to have tabs inside my jeans to make them tighter because they are just too darn big for my skinny waist!    xoxo, rory

1 comment:

  1. Your posts are hilarious Rory! You manage to combine the reality of being a Mom with such humor, I've really enjoyed reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete